Wii Speak was revealed during Nintendo's E3 2008 press conference.
Wii Speak is a microphone accessory for Nintendo's Wii video game console. Connected to the console via USB, the device can be placed near the video display, allowing voice chat to be conducted with the entire room. The device features an LED to indicate when the microphone is active. Wii Speak was announced at Nintendo's 2008 E3 media briefing. It was released separately and bundled with Animal Crossing: City Folk on November 16, 2008, in North America, and was released on December 5, 2008, in Europe.
According to Shigeru Miyamoto, the microphone is designed to "clearly capture many different voices being spoken in a room at the same time and convey that over the Internet." Addressing concerns over background noise due to the placement of the microphone near a television set, Animal Crossing: City Folk producer Katsuya Eguchi states that the device is designed to filter out video game sound from the audio speakers. Miyamoto notes that the quality of the noise filtering functionality in the Wii Speak is "very good", which may be contributing to the cost of the device. A switch was originally planned, but the microphone now turns on only when a compatible game wants access to it.
At E3, when asked why the device would not be bundled with City Folk, Nintendo senior managing director Shigeru Miyamoto replied that cost was the factor behind the decision, adding that some users may prefer playing the game without a microphone, and that others may want to use Wii Speak who are not interested in buying City Folk. In contrast with previous statements, Nintendo later revealed that a bundle of Wii Speak and City Folk would also be released. The bundle was a limited edition, released the same day as the standalone products.
Wii Speak ChannelEdit
|Type||Online voice-only chat|
|Launch date||December 5, 2008|
|Last Updated||March 27, 2009|
On October 2, 2008, Nintendo announced that Wii Speak would have its own Wii Channel. The Wii Speak Channel can be unlocked for download by a 16-digit Wii Download Ticket, included with the Wii Speak package upon purchase. Those who enter the 16-digit code on the Wii Shop Channel are allowed to download the Wii Speak Channel, which was launched on December 5, 2008. If for any reason, the download ticket was lost or used on another Wii, users could obtain a new download ticket via email from Nintendo. Prior to the launch, customers could download the Wii Speak Channel Download Assistant, a channel which gave information about the release of the Wii Speak Channel. After the release, the Download Assistant updated itself into the actual channel.
The channel allows users to chat in one of four rooms with Wii Friends using Wii Speak online. There is no limit to the number of people that can be in each room. Each user will be represented by their Mii, which will lip sync to their spoken words. In addition, users will also be able to leave audio messages on the Wii message board for other users, as well as make audio captions for their stored photos. Users can also share photo slideshows and comment on them.
The Wii Speak channel is available on the Wii U's "Wii Mode", however, it has no use, as the Wii U's Wii Mode has no friend code. However, the Wii Speak peripheral itself does function on the Wii U with games that support it. The Wii Speak channel is no longer available for download due to being discontinued and download codes that are used just give an error message about the channel being no longer available.
The Wii Speak Channel ceased functionality after May 20, 2014 since the free Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service was discontinued. The Wii Speak Channel is succeeded by the Wii U Chat video chat app for the Wii U.
|Title||Developer||Publisher||Release date N. America||Release date Japan||Release date Europe||Release date Australia|
|Animal Crossing: City Folk||Nintendo EAD||Nintendo||November 16, 2008||November 20, 2008||December 5, 2008||December 4, 2008|
|Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep||Arika||Nintendo||February 22, 2010||September 17, 2009||February 5, 2010|
|NHL 2K10||Visual Concepts||2K Sports||September 15, 2009||October 23, 2009|
|NHL 2K11||Visual Concepts||2K Sports||August 24, 2010||October 8, 2010|
|The Conduit||High Voltage Software||Sega||June 23, 2009|
|Uno [Note 1]||Gameloft||Gameloft||January 25, 2010||October 20, 2009||November 6, 2009|
|NBA 2K10||Visual Concepts||2K Sports||November 9, 2009||November 27, 2009|
|NBA 2K11||Visual Concepts||2K Sports||October 5, 2010||October 14, 2010||October 8, 2010||October 8, 2010|
|Monster Hunter Tri||Capcom||Capcom (NA)
|April 20, 2010||August 1, 2009
(No Wii Speak support)
|April 23, 2010||April 29, 2010|
|Tetris Party Deluxe||Hudson Soft||Majesco Entertainment||June 1, 2010||September 3, 2010||October 14, 2010|
|Jeopardy!||THQ||THQ||November 2, 2010|
|Wheel of Fortune||THQ||THQ||November 2, 2010||November 19, 2010|
|Mix Superstar [Note 1]||Digital Leisure||Digital Leisure||November 8, 2010|
- ↑ "Nintendo reveals UK dates for Wii Speak, Animal Crossing". GameSpot UK. 2008-10-07. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6198683.html. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Kohler, Chris (2008-07-24). "How Nintendo's WiiSpeak Mic Works". Game|Life. Wired. https://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/07/how-nintendos-w/. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Casamassina, Matt (2008-07-15). "E3 2008: Miyamoto Talks WiiSpeak". IGN Wii. IGN Entertainment. http://wii.ign.com/articles/890/890133p1.html. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- ↑ "Nintendo to offer Animal Crossing City Folk/Wii Speak bundle". GoNintendo. 2008-09-07. http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=55122. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Casamassina, Matt (2008-10-02). "Interview: Cammie Dunaway". IGN Wii. IGN Entertainment. p. 1. http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915864p1.html. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- ↑ DeVries, Jack (2008-10-02). "WiiSpeak Gets a Dedicated Channel". IGN. http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915632p1.html. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- ↑ DeVries, Jack (2008-07-15). "E3 2008: Animal Crossing Coming to Wii". IGN. http://wii.ign.com/articles/889/889629p1.html. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- ↑ "Nintendo.com description page". https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/4SheQX4csiGffF3TZaDBFL4oVt99GF-I. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- ↑ NHL 2K10 Feature Blowout
- ↑ Klepek, Patrick (2008-10-03). "‘The Conduit’ Already Has ‘MotionPlus’ Support, WiiSpeak Too". MTV Multiplayer. MTV Networks. http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/03/the-conduit-motionplus/. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- ↑ MacDonald, Keza (2009-10-28). "Monster Hunter 3 Tri Hands On". Eurogamer. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/monster-hunter-tri-hands-on. Retrieved 2009-12-15.
- ↑ Fishman, Brian (2010-07-06). "Tetris Party Deluxe Review". GameSpot. http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/tetrispartydeluxe/review.html. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune to use Wii Speak". WiiNintendo. 2010-06-10. http://www.wiinintendo.net/2010/06/10/jeopardy-and-wheel-of-fortune-to-use-wii-speak/. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- ↑ "Digital Leisure's Mix Superstar". NintendoLife. 2011-11-04. http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2010/11/digital_leisures_mix_superstar_decks_wiiware_on_monday. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
|Hardware||Remote (MotionPlus • Classic Controller • Zapper) • Balance Board • Speak • Wi-Fi USB Connector • GameCube controller (WaveBird) • Broadway|
|System software • Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (connector • games) • WiiConnect24 (games) • Nintendo Week|
|Third-party||Third-party accessories (Nyko Kama • Nyko Wand) • DarwiinRemote • Dolphin • Freeloader|
|Wii Menu||Check Mii Out Channel • Everybody Votes Channel • Internet Channel • Nintendo Channel • Wii no Ma • Wii Shop Channel|
|Games||Main||Best-selling • MotionPlus • Balance Board • Traditional control schemes • Nintendo Selects • Touch! Generations • Wii U eShop|
|Virtual Console||Japan • North America • PAL region • South Korea|
|Backward compatibility||GameCube games (New Play Control!)|
|WiiWare||Games (North America • PAL region)|
|Wii series||Sports • Sports Resort • Play • Play: Motion • Fit • Fit Plus • Chess • Music • Party|
|Related||Launch • Sales|