|Platform(s)||Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, C64, MS-DOS, Macintosh, arcade|
Welltris is a puzzle video game, developed by Doka and licensed to Bullet-Proof Software. Adaptations were made by Sphere, Inc., for Spectrum Holobyte, and by Infogrames. It was originally released for MS-DOS and Macintosh in 1989. It was subsequently ported to the Amiga, Amstrad CPC and Atari ST in 1990 and the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 in 1991.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Welltris was the first Tetris sequel designed by original designer Alexey Pajitnov, with Andrei Sgenov. It retains that game's falling-block puzzle gameplay but extends the pit into three dimensions while the blocks remain two-dimensional, with the board viewed from above.
As blocks descend into the well, they can be rotated or moved left or right along the walls, from one wall to another if desired. Once a block reaches the floor, it will slide as far as possible until stopped by an edge or another piece. Whenever the player completes a solid horizontal or vertical line, it disappears and the remaining squares slide to fill the open space.
If a falling block comes to rest with any part of itself still on a wall, that wall is temporarily frozen; no blocks can be moved onto it during this time. Freezing all four walls ends the game.
Critical reaction[edit | edit source]
The ZX Spectrum version had mixed reviews, with CRASH awarding 79%, Sinclair User awarding 45% and Your Sinclair giving 79%. The actual gameplay and addictiveness were highlighted as good areas, but criticisms included the fiddly controls and minimal sound and looks.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Clarkson, Nick (February 1991). "Welltris". ST Action (34): 90. http://www.atarimania.com/mags/pdf/atari_st_action_34.pdf.
- Lesser, Hartley; Lesser, Patricia; Lesser, Kirk (July 1990). "The Role of Computers". Dragon (159): 47–53.
- "Welltris". CRASH (87): 40. April 1991. https://archive.org/details/crash-magazine-87.
- "Welltris". Sinclair User (110): 28. April 1991. https://archive.org/details/sinclair-user-magazine-110.
- "Welltris". Your Sinclair (64): 64. April 1991. https://archive.org/details/your-sinclair-64.
- "Zzap!Test!". Zzap!64. March 1991.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles> at the Def Guide to Zzap!64
[edit | edit source]
|Main games||Tetris (Atari) • Tetris (NES) • Battle Gaiden • Tetris & Dr. Mario • Plus • The Grand Master • Magical Tetris Challenge • 64 • The New Tetris • Worlds • Evolution • Zone • Splash • Friends • Party • Ultimate • Puyo Puyo Tetris • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2|
|Portable games||Tetris (Game Boy) • 3D • DS • EA Tetris • Axis|
|Variant games||Blockout • Welltris • Hatris • Faces • Wordtris • Tetris 2 • Tetris Attack • TetriNET • Tetrisphere • BreakThru! • Pokémon Tetris • Tetris Giant • Tetris Effect • Tetris 99|
|Related||Alexey Pajitnov • Tetris effect • Tetromino • The Tetris Company • Tetris Online, Inc. • Classic Tetris World Championship • Korobeiniki • Tetris (film)|