|Children in Need Rocks Manchester|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Running time||122 minutes|
|Picture format||HDTV 1080i|
|Original airing||17 2011|
|Preceded by||Children in Need Rocks the Royal Albert Hall|
Gary Barlow, who organised and performed at the concert.
|Location(s)||Manchester Arena, Manchester, England|
|Founded by||Gary Barlow (pictured)|
|Date(s)||17 November 2011|
|Genre||Pop, R&B, Rock music|
Children in Need Rocks Manchester was a charity music concert held at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, on 17 November 2011. The concert was organised by Take That singer and The X Factor judge Gary Barlow as one of a series of events to raise money for Children in Need 2011. It became the second Children in Need Rocks concert organised by Barlow, after the Children in Need Rocks the Royal Albert Hall in 2009.
The concert was broadcast on BBC One, BBC One HD and BBC Radio 1 on Thursday 17 November 2011, the day before the official appeal telethon. Short films of projects being funded by the charity were shown at various points throughout the show, often featuring one of the celebrities meeting a child or group of children.
The event was hosted by radio and television presenters Chris Moyles and Fearne Cotton, along with former Doctor Who actor David Tennant. The acts performing at the concert included Canadian Michael Bublé, Jessie J, Coldplay, James Morrison, Barlow's fellow The X Factor judges, Tulisa Contostavlos and Kelly Rowland, Barlow himself and Lady Gaga. Barlow revealed on The Chris Moyles Show when announcing the concert that he had personally contacted the acts he wanted to perform.
Tickets for the concert cost between £55 and £95, and the 12,000 tickets sold out within 10 minutes of going on sale on 16 September 2011. Some tickets were also bought by radio stations and television programmes to be auctioned, with one pair of tickets being sold to a BBC Radio Jersey listener for £2010. The concert raised over £2,500,000 including from text donations during the programme. The total would be added to the £26 million which was donated by the British public during the telethon the next day.
- The Collective with Tulisa Contostavlos - "Teardrop"
- Lady Gaga - "Born This Way" "The Edge Of Glory and "Marry The Night"
- Muse - "United States of Eurasia
- Ed Sheeran - "The A Team"
- Michael Bublé - "Haven't Met You Yet" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"
- Dappy and Fazer - "No Regrets"
- Snow Patrol - "This Isn't Everything You Are"
- Kelly Rowland - "Down for Whatever"
- James Morrison - "You Give Me Something" and Up" (featuring Jessie J)
- Hugh Laurie - "Crazy Arms" and "Hallelujah I Love Her So" (featuring Jamie Cullum)
- Andrea Bocelli - "Nessun Dorma"
- Elbow - "Open Arms" and "One Day Like This"
- JLS - "Take a Chance On Me" and "She Makes Me Wanna"
- Jessie J - "Nobody's Perfect"
- Gary Barlow - "Back for Good"
- Coldplay - "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall", "Paradise" and "Viva la Vida".
- Cheryl Cole was originally planned to sing a duet with Barlow, but had to pull out due to illness.
- ↑ "Lady Gaga shows off her love handles in too-tight leotard onstage at Children In Need". Daily Mail. 17 November 2011. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2062981/Children-In-Need-Lady-Gaga-shows-love-handles-tight-leotard.html. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- ↑ "In pictures: Children In Need Rocks". BBC News. 17 November 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15786429. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- ↑ "Gary Barlow: Manchester deserved to stage huge Children in Need concert". Manchester Evening News. 17 November 2011. http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1465546_gary-barlow-manchester-deserved-to-stage-huge-children-in-need-concert. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- ↑ "Children in Need Rocks Manchester". Radio Times. http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/nqvft/children-in-need-rocks-manchester. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- ↑ "Barlow, Gaga, Coldplay for Children in Need Rocks gig". Newsbeat (British Broadcasting corporation). 14 September 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14911548. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- ↑ "Press Release - Children in Need Rocks Manchester". BBC Press Office. British Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/09_september/14/cin_rocks.shtml. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- ↑ "Ticket auction for Children in Need Rocks raises £2010". BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation). 7 November 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-15624339. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- ↑ "Children in Need raises record £26 million". Telegraph Online (Telegraph Media Group). 19 November 2011. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8900874/Children-in-Need-raises-record-26-million.html. Retrieved 21 November 2011.
- ↑ "Gary Barlow performs solo without Cheryl Cole at Children in Need Rocks". Metro (Associated Newspapers). http://www.metro.co.uk/music/882131-gary-barlow-performs-solo-without-cheryl-cole-at-children-in-need-rocks. Retrieved 5 December 2011.