- Eastman Kodak is the first company to begin commercial production of film on a flexible transparent base, celluloid.
- The first moving pictures developed on celluloid film are made in Hyde Park, London by William Friese Greene
- Wordsworth Donisthorpe invents the Kinesigraph, which photographs a round image on 68 mm film.
- William Dickson completes his work for Thomas Edison on the Kinetograph cylinder either in this year or 1890. Monkeyshines No. 1 becomes the first film shot on the system.
- February 3 - Carl Th. Dreyer, Danish director
- February 8 - Siegfried Kracauer, German movie critic and journalist
- February 23 - Musidora, French actress, screenwriter, film director
- April 16 - Charlie Chaplin, British actor and film-maker
- May 20 - Karin Molander, Swedish actress
- May 31 - Athene Seyler, British actress
- June 11 - Wesley Ruggles, American movie director, producer
- June 15 - Salka Viertel, Austro-Hungarian actress and screenwriter.
- July 27 - Vera Karalli, Russian actress and ballerina
- August 24 - Tom London, American actor
- August 24 - Claude Rains, British-American actor
- November 19 - Clifton Webb, American actor
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.