- February 2 – Sixth annual exhibition of Les XX opens in Brussels, including the first important display of Paul Gauguin's work.
- May 6 – October 31 – Exposition Universelle in Paris, with the Eiffel Tower as its entrance arch.
- May 8 – Van Gogh moves from Arles to the Saint-Paul asylum in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence.
- June – The Volpini Exhibition: Exposition de peintures du Groupe impressioniste et synthétiste, faite dans le local de M. Volpini au Champ-de-Mars organised by Paul Gauguin and Émile Schuffenecker at the Café des Arts in Paris; other exhibitors include Émile Bernard and Charles Laval.
- July 15 – The Scottish National Portrait Gallery opens in Edinburgh in premises designed by Rowand Anderson, the first in the world to be purpose-built as a portrait gallery.
- July 23 – Marie Triepcke marries fellow-artist Peder Severin Krøyer in Augsburg.
- August 17 – The 9 by 5 Impression Exhibition opens in Melbourne, Australia.
- Edvard Munch stages his first one-man exhibition and wins a state scholarship to study in Paris.
- Alfred Sisley settles at Moret-sur-Loing.
- The Skulpturensammlung moves into the Albertinum in Dresden.
- The Imperial Museum of Nara is established in Japan.
- The Parade of Seurat Georges Seurat
- Laksefiskeren Eilif Peterssen
- Olive trees in mountain landscape Vincent van Gogh
- Starry Night Vincent van Gogh
- The Yellow Christ Paul Gauguin
- The Green Christ Paul Gauguin
- The Burghers of Calais Auguste Rodin
January 21 – Hermann Glöckner, German Constructivist painter and sculptor (died 1987) April 15 – Thomas Hart Benton, American painter and muralist (died 1975) May 11 – Paul Nash, English painter (died 1946) June – James Sleator, Irish painter (died 1950) July 31 – Júlíana Sveinsdóttir, Icelandic painter and textile artist (died 1966) August 13 – Christopher R. W. Nevinson, war artist (died 1946) September 28 – Seán Keating, Irish romantic-realist painter (died 1977) October 10 – Han van Meegeren, Dutch painter and art forger (died 1947) October 17 – Karl Völker, painter and architect (died 1962) October 29 – Edward Wadsworth, painter (died 1949) November 1 – Hannah Höch, German Dada photomontage artist (died 1978)
January 23 – Alexandre Cabanel, painter (born 1823) February 5 – James Smetham, pre-Raphaelite painter (born 1821) February 24 – Philip Henry Delamotte, photographer and illustrator (born 1821) May 23 – John O'Connor, painter (born 1830) October 6 – Jules Dupré, painter (born 1811) December 27 – Eduard Bendemann, painter (born 1811) date unknown – Jules Tavernier, French painter (born 1844)